Black In STEM Education Week is celebrated by engagement in daily themes. The following is a description of each theme.
Sunday 9/27 – #BlackInSTEMEdHomeRoom
- Meet the organizers of Black In STEM Ed Week.
- Introduce yourself to the community and share what you are excited to learn and experience during this week.
- Join us as we reflect on the historical intersection of STEM and African culture.
Monday 9/28 –#BlackInScienceEd
- Meet science educators.
- Interact with the #BlackInSTEMEd community as we discuss how to honor the history of Blackness in STEM and support Black people in bringing their full selves into STEM spaces.
Tuesday 9/29 –#BlackInTechEd
- Meet STEM technology educators.
- Learn how technology is integrated in education, how it affects student learning, and about tech courses for students.
Wednesday 9/30 –#BlackInEngineeringEd
- Learn about the field of engineering education, both research & practice at the K12 & higher ed level.
- See examples of Black engineers that you can share with your students.
- Learn about the contributions of Black engineering educators.
Thursday 10/1 –#BlackInMathEd
- Learn about the trend of integrating social justice concepts into math education curriculum and practices.
- Meet some amazing Black math educators and researchers!
Friday 10/2 –#BlackInEdRealities
- Learn about the effects systemic racism, disproportionate rates of discipline, & inequitable access to resources have on achievement of Black scholars & professionals.
- Lend a voice by sharing your personal #BlackInEdRealities
Saturday 10/3 –#BlackInSTEMEdFutures
- Learn about work that is being done with Critical Race Theory, Afrofuturism, and math education.
- Learn about individuals and organizations who are taking creative steps away from traditional STEM education.
- Learn about different Afrofuturistic or STEM speculative fiction books.